Thursday, July 22, 2010

The two certain things in life, Taxes and Death.

People often say 'There are only two things certain in life, Taxes and Death'. I suppose this is true. We can try our best to escape the Tax Man's money absorbing claws, some do for many years, but when Death comes you cant escape or hide. I suppose the only thing that you require to die is to be born. Even in death you need a bit of luck. People reading this are thinking 'What the hell is he saying...he is mad!!'. Yes, it has been said i am slightly 'touched by the crazy stick' but to die a peaceful and pain free death requires some sort of luck. Maybe a pain free and peaceful death is a blessing bestowed on those deemed worthy by the Big Man upstairs. Many people have died long, drawn out,painful, nasty deaths but that doesnt mean they were loved any less by God.

Many of us have experienced the loss of a loved one. It is a terrible feeling which leaves a hole in your very substance. Time helps patch over this hole, but it never covers it fully. To cover the hole of loss fully, is like forgetting the person you lost. Most people see the grief of loss as a heart wrenching, soul crushing pain. This is without a doubt true, but it also means that you have felt one of the most beautiful human emotions, the emotion of love. People take love for granted. Sadly, there are people who are devoid of love or who may have never known what it is like to be loved by another. Love is something which makes us more similar and closer to God.

When a loved one leaves us, we all grieve in different ways. You feel broken inside and question why it had to happen. The loss of a loved one makes you appreciate those that are still alive. As you grow older you see death in a different light, it is still a bastard but something that has to happen to everyone.

Sadly and recently,on the 17th of July 2010, my Granny left this world and travelled to be with my Granda in the Eternal Kingdom of God. My Granny was an amazing woman who lived 80 years on this Earth. She was as tough as old nails, a real fighter. After two new hips, a new knee and about 69 years of smoking, she was still plodding along in her frame. You will struggle to find a woman who was looked after so well by her children, anywhere on this planet. She gave birth to my Father and my Aunties and Uncles, who in turn, gave birth to some fantastic and talented cousins!! One cousin is a Premier League Footballer who plays for Man Utd and Rep of Ireland, another is a constant fixture in the Irish ladies Hockey squad. All my cousins are amazing, even if they they are not super talented. None of the grandchildren or great grandchildren would be here if it wasnt for the love between my Granny and Granda. My Granny was loved by all her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and this love will remain constant like the North Star. Through this love, her life and spirit will remain in all her family.

I never got back to Ireland for her funeral. I recently moved to Spain to take up work as an English Teacher. There were no flights until the day of the funeral, or the cost of maybe getting back just in time for the funeral would have bankrupted me. Sadly another cousin couldnt get back in time from Australia. I would killed to get back and say my goodbye to my Granny, but it was not meant to be. I suppose i missed out the final goodbye but my last memory of my granny is a very happy one. Just before I left for Spain I called in on her. She was sitting in her chair and when I said 'Hello Granny' she turned, gave this half startled half surprised look. When she realised it was me she smiled and said 'Awk hello son'. A smile which was full of love, a smile i will remember forever.

In loving memory of Myra Gibson - Wife, Mother, Grandmother and Great Grandmother.

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, Love leaves a memory no one can steal.

6 comments:

  1. that was a very beautiful, touching post micheal! love u xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautifull, I am sure that up there she and your grandad will know about your feeling and will be smiling totally proud of you.
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you possible described every emotion running through us all. That was really, really lovely, and again, im so sorry couldnt be there to say your last goodbyes. I hope she knows how much she meant to us all. Rest in Peach Granny ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was lovely micheal although did make me cry a good bit just sitting here reading it with my mammy hope u will get home to see us all at some stage xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you liked it :):) If I dont get home anytime soon you are all welcome to come here and see Seville.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear this Mick , I genuinely did'nt know. Karen's mum must not know this cause she'd have said to me had she heard.

    I know how you feel , as I lost my dad on the 14th Movember last year and he had a poorly last 18 months of his long and wonderful life. He was 84 years of age and would have been 85 in february this year had he made it , but it wasn't to be.

    Your Grandmother is at peace now Mick , and that has to be your sole comfort at this time.

    It is difficult now Mick , I know as I wasn't there when my dad passed away. I had left to come home to get a nights sleep and he passed away shortly after midnight. It was hard enough to watch his final few hours , and was very tough on me emotionally to deal with. Having the rest of my family around me at the time helped me a great deal , but it doesn't become any easier.

    Remember the great times you spent together , always .....

    ReplyDelete